Growing older comes with wisdom, experience, and something even more delightful: discounts! These special savings are available to individuals aged 50 and over and can significantly reduce expenses on everyday items and experiences. From retail shopping to dining out, travel, and even exclusive AARP offers, these discounts are a fantastic way to enjoy more for less. Whether you’re an adult child assisting your parents, or someone looking to make the most of life after 50, this discount guide is tailored just for you.
Many popular retail stores offer discounts for those 50 and over. Here are some examples:
- Kohl’s: This department store offers a 15% discount every Wednesday for customers 60 and over.
- Ross: Known for discounted clothing and home goods, Ross provides a 10% discount every Tuesday for customers 55 and older.
- Goodwill: This thrift store chain’s discounts vary by location, often offering 10-20% off for shoppers (must join the free Club Goodwill program)
- The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: These thrift stores offer a 10% discount at select locations for those 60 and older.
- Michaels: This arts and crafts store offers a 10% discount off the entire purchase, including sale items, for those 55 years or older. This discount is available every day, both in-store and online.
- Pep Boys: This auto parts retailer and service provider offers customers 55 or older a 10% discount.
- The UPS Store: This shipping and business services provider offers 5% off shipping and 15% off other services for AARP members.
- Kroger: One of the largest grocery store chains in the U.S., Kroger provides a discount on certain days of the week, which varies by location for those over 55.
- Fred Meyer: A subsidiary of Kroger, Fred Meyer offers a 10% discount on the first Tuesday of every month for customers over 55.
- Harris Teeter: This supermarket chain offers a 5% discount every Thursday for customers 60 and over.
Enjoy savings at Denny’s, IHOP, RainForest Cafe, McDonald’s, and Outback Steakhouse.
- Denny’s: This diner-style restaurant chain offers a 55+ menu with discounted prices.
- IHOP: Known for their pancakes, IHOP provides a 55+ menu with discounted prices.
- Rainforest Cafe: 10% Off Your Check Every Day. Present your AARP membership card with your check.
- McDonald’s: This global fast-food chain offers discounted coffee and beverages for those over 55 at some locations.
- Outback Steakhouse: This Australian-themed American casual dining restaurant chain offers AARP members a 10% discount on their meals.
Companies like British Airways, United Airlines, Amtrak, Avis, and Marriott offer discounts for those 50 and over.
- British Airways: $65-$200 Off Round-Trip Flights. AARP Members save $65 off World Traveller (economy) and World Traveller Plus (premium economy) or $200 off Club World (business class) fares when they purchase round-trip transatlantic tickets online to over 130 destinations, including Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
- United Airlines: This international airline provides fares to selected travel destinations for customers 65 and over. The discounts may vary based on the flight and booking class.
- Amtrak: The U.S. national railroad passenger corporation offers a 10% discount for passengers 65 and over on most rail fares.
- Avis: This car rental company offers AARP members up to 30% off on car rentals. The discount applies to both U.S. and international rentals.
- Marriott: This international hotel chain offers a discount for customers 62 and over. The discount applies to hotel stays and can also include dining and other services at the hotel.
Save at places like Regal Cinemas, National Parks, AMC Theatres, and Ticketmaster.
- Regal Cinemas: This major movie theater chain offers up to 30% off for those 60 and over. The discount applies to regular movie tickets and is available every day.
- National Parks: The U.S. National Park Service offers a $20 annual or $80 lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents 62 and over. The pass provides access to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites.
- AMC Theatres: This movie theater chain offers up to 30% off the regular adult admission price for customers 60 and over. The discount is available at most locations.
- Ticketmaster: AARP members save on tickets to select shows and events. Offers include 2-for-1 tickets, Me + 3 (4-packs), and events with select tickets under $40. Subject to availability, venue, and artist restrictions.
Health and Wellness Discounts
Pharmacies and health stores like Rite Aid, CVS, GNC, and LensCrafters offer discounts for those 50 and over.
- Rite Aid: This drugstore chain offers a wellness program called Wellness65+. Members get 5x points on the first Wednesday of every month and a free pharmacist consultation.
- CVS: Offers a rewards program called ExtraCare. Those can earn 2% back in ExtraBucks Rewards every time they use their ExtraCare card.
- LensCrafters: AARP members can enjoy special discounts at LensCrafters. These exclusive savings include a 50% discount on prescription lenses when purchased with a frame, a 30% discount on sunglasses without a prescription, and a comprehensive eye exam for just $55.
Service providers like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, and T-Mobile offer discounts for those 55 and over.
- AT&T: Senior Nation Plan for customers 55 and over. The plan includes saving $10/mo. Per line, unlimited plan with your AARP member discount. Waived activation fees with select activations + Get 15% off eligible wireless accessories
- Verizon: Has a discounted plan for customers 55 and over and varies by location. The plan includes unlimited talk, text, and data.
- Comcast: Offers a discounted Internet Essentials program for eligible seniors. The program includes low-cost, high-speed internet service.
- T-Mobile: Provides several discounted plans for customers 55 and over. The plans include unlimited talk, text, and data. Find those plans here.
AARP Discounts: Making the Most of Your Membership
AARP provides a wide array of benefits to its members over 50, including discounts on travel, dining, entertainment, health and wellness, insurance, shopping, and technology. These discounts make vacations, dining out, attending events, maintaining health, insuring assets, shopping, and staying connected in the digital world more affordable.
Discounts for those 50 and over are more than just a perk; they’re a way to enhance your lifestyle without breaking the bank. From shopping to dining, traveling, and even exclusive AARP benefits, these discounts are tailored to help you make the most of life after 50. These offers change often, so please check with your local stores to get the most up-to-date information for your area.
Did you find this discount guide helpful? Share it with your friends and family, and let’s help each other save more and live better. Don’t forget to comment below with any additional discounts you’ve discovered, and sign up for our newsletter for more valuable resources. Happy saving!