It’s been cool and rainy here in the northeast. So instead of staring out the window waiting for it to go away, why not use this time indoors to organize your closet? It’s the perfect opportunity to get rid of the old and make room for the new or purge to simplify! This simple checklist will help you get it done in no time!
Clothes usually take up the most space in any closet. If you haven’t worn something in more than a year, it’s time to let it go. Either donate or pitch it. Formal attire that you need, but only wear occasionally – store it.
Once you’ve purged your clothes, consider how you could use the following items to keep them organized.
- 10” or 12” catchall baskets
- Shelf dividers
- Clothes hangers
- Pullout clothing rods
- Get more space on your closet floor with Hurdle Hangers
- Hamper basket
How many pairs of shoes do you have? I know, shoes are amazing. I love them too, but except for shoes that are part of something you know you wear on specific occasions; If you haven’t tried to wear them in more than a year, they need to go.
Once you’ve culled the shoe collection into pairs you wear, get yourself some shoe cubbies and keep them organized so you always have easy access to the perfect pair.
- Use clear storage tubs to protect your favorite, less frequently worn pairs.
Jewelry can be one of the toughest things to organize. There are so many little pieces, and they can be delicate. It takes up less space, so holding onto jewelry is fine, but you can organize it, so you’re not pawing through everything trying to find that perfect bracelet or matching earring.
- Jewelry trays are great for quickly seeing what’s on hand, but not if they get overcrowded. So keep a few extras on hand for overflow.
- Wall racks are great for holding necklaces without getting tangled. They double as a convenient place for scarves and hats too!
- Drawer dividers (these are DIY and Free) keep small pieces from getting lost in a messy drawer. Use them anywhere you can.
- 5-drawer cabinets to organize all your small items and the color is my favorite!
Now that you have a strategy for organizing your closet – and keeping it that way – there’s nothing to stop you. Get organizing!